Friday 3 February 2012

The Stress of Cats!

So, last November 30th I brought home two new additions to our family.  Little did I realise the stress they would cause me - worse than two extra toddlers in the house!  The first couple of weeks were ok as they didn't venture out from under the stairs but then they got bolder. . . .  Let's just say cat wee and poo are foul!  Tapas seems to have become a happy "normal" pet cat . . .  but Jess (was called Spring but due to copious episodes of Postman Pat over Christmas, she was renamed).

I only went to get one cat but due to me feeling sorry for the timid sibling I took them both. How dumb!  She *is* getting better. Slowly - very slowly.  And as for peeing and spraying when she's fed up with something -well, the sofa covers have not had so much washing ever . . . say no more.  The thing is I have read so much about pesky problem cats on t'interent I go from being really positive and thinking it's just a matter of time, to, hell she will always be crazy.  It's harder work than children.

Well, the main thing is, is that we have never had totally indoor cats and that to me is the problem. We don't want indoor cats but as they have been 'rescued' from the streets of somewhere in Spain under who knows what circumstances, we didn't want them running off. Also, I had the dumb idea that it would be good to tame them before spaying them.  In hindsight I think it would have been less stressful all round to have taken them to the vet before I even brought them home but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Today I am more relaxed as yesterday they got done.  Thank goodness.   It was touch and go though.  I took them in for 8:15am.  We managed to get Jess inside a box first thing so that was the first stress over. I was supposed to pick them up at 11:30 but got a phone call at 10:30 saying that Tapas was all good and done but Jess wasn't as she had gone wild charging round the room and they couldn't catch her.  I got even more stressed as I didn't want to bring home a wild stressed cat who wasn't done.  This was our third attempt at an appointment due to being in season. But then I thought, heck they are a vets.  Why the heck did the let her out of the box when I told them she was crazy?  And haven't hey watched "Vet Safari" where they dart wild animals?  Hmmph. Just as I was thinking these thoughts I got a call to say they had got her.

So I picked up Tapas at 11:30 and all good but then had to go back later to get the wild one.  And not only is she mad but she has a skin condition that could be caused by stress or anything really and she may need cortisone regularly and I need to feed her ridiculously expensive sensitive food istead of cheapo whiskas. . .

And, they both had these little body suits on which is to stop them scratching the wound apparently. I had no choice in the matter and they cost €16 a piece!  I'm glad I forgot to ask when do I give them back. . .  The vet told me that sometimes the animal manages to escape but she has no idea how.  Yup you've guessed it - Jess escaped from hers within 4 hours of being home. €16 well spent I think not. 

At least we can let them outside now, except it's -15ºC so they are not keen and nor am I.  They seem to be OK, except I think there has been some sibling falling out as Tapas growls at Jess when she comes near near.  

What an exciting post!  And I can still slightly smell cat wee - or am I paranoid?

 Tapas looking very cool in her little jacket. Being very tame and cuddly and 'normal'



Typical Jess!  Sitting at the top of the stairs but darting down as soon as you so much as look at her!


No comments:

Post a Comment