Saturday 19 May 2012

Trail Gator







So we (Matt) fixed the trail gator.  This is photo of when we returned from our practise ride. Katie did have her helmet on if any of you are concerned about her safety. She just took it off when we got home due to a sweaty head and wouldn't put it on again for photo.  Oh and I must make sure she has the flag at full length so people can see her.

Anyhow, I purchased the Trail Gator in the UK and when it arrived I was concerned about how heavy it was.  It has sat for a couple of week in the box and yesterday Matt decided to fix it.  Having read the reviews on Amazon it suggested that it took a while to initially set up. Obviously a lot of the reviews were written by muppets according to Matt , but yes it did take time to initially set up. 

First thing, which bike to put it on?  We have four.  Matt's top bike is at the bike shop and so we thought we'd set it to his green bike so then I could pull the Chariot and he could have that.  But he couldn't get the seat post off which is crucial to set up.  So then it was either of my two.  My black bike I pull the Chariot a lot with and you can't have the Chariot towing skewer on the back wheel as well as the Trail Gator fixer.  So it is on my mountain bike.  And it did take a while to set up. 

The thing is, Katie's bike is just a bit too small and in order far her to ride it without being fixed but also to have the Trail Gator fixing on, Matt has had to take off her brake!!!!  Thank goodness she has a back pedal brake which she can actually use quite effectively.  This is because the brake cable goes through the front attachment thingy on her bike and so she cannot actually turn the wheel very far when she is unattached as it is too tight.  Negative thing number one, but I'm sure on a bigger bike it would be better.

And I'm not sure how much time is saved if any by attaching her to that rather than plonking her in the Chariot and tying the bike on the back as it's still a bit of a faff to fix up but I'm sure will get quicker in time, plus it's quite heavy pulling two in the Chariot and a bike on the back. I will still have to do this of course when I am by myself.

I went shopping and Matt came up to meet us with the bike attached and took Katie back home on it. She thought it was fab.  Then I went out this afternoon with her to test it.  It takes getting used to as it feels a little wobbly and wonky but I pulled her up to the flat and then I unattached her and we went off separately.  That was odd too as you have to attach the Trail Gator to a clip on the skewer on the back wheel and it makes riding feel very lopsided and totally heavy.  I swear it weighs as much as my bike!  It's a lead weight contraption but solid so it's safe, right? 

Katie thinks it's great and loves going faster.  She keeps pedalling too and actually this really helps and I noticed it on the hills so that's good.

Anyway, all in all, I think it's a good thing and fun when it's just the two of us and I don't have to worry about her getting too tired to bike back from wherever we are, when there are four of us, but I can't use it with just me and both children. I don't like her not having the option of a front brake to use either, but then.  It won't be that long before she is on a bigger bike. 

More testing to be done, probably tomorrow on the way to a beer garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment